Saturday, July 24, 2010

Introducing Calvin John

He is here! 22 days early, Calvin John has joined us and is doing GREAT! He was born last night at 11:00 pm weighing in at 7lbs 8.5 oz and measured 19" long. He had a good cry and nice pink coloring. He is free of all assistance except a tube through his nose for some feedings. They really push consistent feedings. I have been pumping a lot though I'd prefer just to nurse. He did try to suck but quickly fell asleep. He has been sleeping a lot. The nurse was impressed with his attempts. I hold on to that!

There has been a lot of good news. The cardiologist had a look at his heart and it confirmed what they thought, that he will do really well until surgery. They hope he can go until about 4-6 months, 3 at the earliest. A nurse and an attending dr (not a NICU dr - I don't really understand all of the positions) both commented on his strength and how well he is doing! I just cannot believe he is here already!

I started some slight bleeding at about 8:30 pm last night. Joe had just left for a run with his buddy Chris. Mom and Dad were on their way home from out west. Grandma Jo Jo was with Doopie and Dan and Grandpa Wayne was busy. I panicked a bit. I called Aunt Beth and she and Patty and a few others set out to find Joe and come over to watch the boys. Within 10 minutes Beth came with Joe and we took off. We arrived at United at about 9:30-9:45. I was measuring at 3cm and I knew the contractions were becoming productive. An hr later I decided I'd try pain meds (never had them before). The nurse checked me and I was at an 8 and really thin so she said "sorry, it is so close". So I toughed it out - what choice did I have? My water had not actually broke, something new this round. The Perinatologist broke it at about 10:50 and ONE push later he was laying on the bed!! We did not waste any time! I finally got to see him at about 1am. He was very sleepy and I did not try nursing. I was disappointed because I really wanted to get going on establishing that. But hey, it will work out if it's meant to be. If not, I can pump! I am learning to let go of some expectations and hopes if it means life is less stressful. We can go home 24 hrs after he is eating well without the tube. That probably won't be until the middle of the week, but we'll see! I have said many many prayers to God. I thank Him for everything that has been and pray for the best to be.

I think that is all for now. I will post some pictures very soon.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I hope you both are doing well and we will look forward to getting together with you when you are both back home and things have quieted down a little

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the story with how labor started up to delivery.

    Erin

    Im really annoyed with the bumblebeebumpercar deal. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am here reading your blog scrolling up the page after your last post, then I read the most beautiful post, he is here! He is beautiful, congratulations!! Our God is soo good! He knew you were ready, he knew to take the cold feet from you and warm them with the love of Calvin...how wonderul.

    I am rejoicing with your family as you start this new chapter, I can't wait to follow Calvin and your family. The Best is Yet to come! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. skiingthroughlife (I wanted to write Erin, but I have 2 Erins!),
    I sent you a message on your most recent post. How exciting to have connected with you! I have to ask, how did you find me??? So curious. Thank you for reaching out and I look forward to getting to know you more!
    Ilisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...I found you because you linked up to my site I can tell in my STATS page where my blog hits come from.... and when i read your post about not being along and my blog helped, I felt so blessed to be able to help someone... and then you had your baby and well the world became that much more wonderful! It happened so quick since I found your blog! Can't wait to see him grow up. He is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete