Monday, August 23, 2010

Another one bites the dust...

I thought of Calvin (and you) when I read this:

"For I know the plans I have for you (Calvin),' declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

The most important thing I have learned to this point is, that we're not in it alone (as mothers and fathers). We have a Lord who has a plan and we have to trust and most importantly (which is the hardest) rest in knowing that, allowing Him to carry us (and our kids) day by day.
"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight and understanding." Proverbs 3:5

A sweet friend emailed that to me. I have so many of you reminding me to be easy on myself and I have calmed down since this morning. I feel guilty and pray Calvin knows I did not abandon him during his early days. So, I will put all of this energy into holding him and loving him so much that he should never know the difference.

Birth to Three was out and we will work on the IFSP next week. The OT and I had a good chat about the feeding issues and we came to no answers but some possibilities. We decided to talk to the pediatrician and cardiologist on Wednesday about a plan to switch to breast milk and Simply Thick. We will do that for a couple of weeks and slowly start thinning out his food and see how it goes. We will monitor him and have his lungs listened to as often as we can. I believe in my heart of hearts that he will do fine on breast milk and Simply Thick. I thought about the swallow study and a couple of things came to mind: he was sleepy during the study and the tube was in his throat. So, I'd like to believe he can do better now, it has been 3 weeks. The Birth to Three gals were impressed with Calvin's head holding and back arching. He can almost roll over. (People with T-21 are more flexible than us 46 chromosomed relatives.) BUT, we are also watching him for reflux, which could contribute to the arching. The OT said she's never seen a baby with Ds arch their back that much (far) at this age! However, she said she's not sure if it's good if it's a sign of reflux.

We ended the day on a pumpkin note. One of Joe's giants went down yesterday. It cracked open at the blossom end. It weighed 1,152 lbs! I think he can still count it as the largest pumpkin he's ever grown! Great job, Joe! We look forward to October's weigh-ins. Enjoy the pictures.




What is that I hear about people with Ds always being happy?!


No comments:

Post a Comment