Monday, November 22, 2010

1 week Post Op

Below are pictures of the incision. You may not want to see them, which is why I'm warning you.

What a difference a week can make. I keep thinking it feels like I've brought home a newborn, again. I'm not sure what will change now that Calvin's heart is "fixed". First of all, he is home on some Lasix to get all the excess H2O out of his system. He is not on any pain meds and is doing fine without them. He is back on his NuTriVene D and probiotic supplements as well. We are just getting back to our routine.

That routine feels easier when it comes to feeding time. No more thickening, which meant planning 15-20 minutes ahead of time. Calvin is doing well with thin milk. He does aspirate now and then and cough BUT he can deal with it now. He sounds good. No more hoarse voice either, just a nice loud cry (which goes along with today's pictures).

I was hoping Calvin's sleep schedule would not change much. I expected it to but I have not noticed much of a difference. Of course it's not like when he was a newborn and slept all the time, but it's like it has been in the past month or 2.

The second big change I've noticed, besides the feedings, is Calvin's belly. You may remember this from other pictures. The reason for some of that was the excess fluid from heart failure, which is what the Lasix was/is for. When I changed him this morning, I was shocked to see the difference. The last picture in that 2 month post shows the largest change, breathing. That picture shows retraction, or the indent under the ribs. He does not have that anymore. His breaths per minute has slowed, which is why bottling thin liquids is easier.

Again I'd like to say "thank you" to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, messages, gifts, and help this past week. We made it! Next? Nursing and sitting up... in due time.
These 2 are the day he came home from the hospital.
The spots above the belly button are from the chest tubes and pacer wires. You can barely see his neck, another sore spot due to the tube that went into his carotid artery.


"Mom, do something, I'm not happy!"



2 comments:

  1. He looks really good...especially so soon after surgery. Aren't they AMAZING!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks amazing. Ok now I'm off to read the rest of the entry. ;)

    ReplyDelete