Friday, November 26, 2010

God's wisdom

If someone were to ask me if I thought I was a strong person, I would undoubtedly answer 'yes'. I have never been one to give up without a fight. I do not fight unfair or nasty, I just persevere. I think it is because I have a lot of practice at it, starting as a kid with 6 siblings. It has shaped who I am. It is as if I am looking at a wall and I see a tiny crack. Behind that wall is growth. To me, to grow is to gain. That growth is transparent though, like air. And, you can bet there is another wall there, with another tiny crack.

I will focus on that crack. I will squeeze through it one way or another. I will gather some tools and break it open if I have to. AND, I never want to go through it alone. I want to take as many people with me as are willing. But, they will have to help, they don't just get to come along unless they are children and need to learn how first. The difficult part is sometimes we don't want to go through that crack. Yes, I believe it is a choice. We can choose to sit back and pout or cry or be angry, be we will not get through that wall then.

What is interesting about that is the ones who don't come with me, stay behind and I find it harder to go back and visit them. I'm sure the reverse is true as well. Many people are through more walls or different walls than am I, but we can share tools. That is what a counselor is for, or a parent, a friend, even a character in a movie.

You can imagine why Evan would like the movie "Evan Almighty": Steve Carell's character's name is Evan AND animals come, two by two. It is a good enough movie and I happen to like the wisdom Morgan Freeman shares as he plays God. These quotes from the movie have me thinking this morning:
"Let me ask you something. (Morgan Freeman talking to Evan's wife played by Lauren Graham) If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
"How do we change the world? One Act, of, Random, Kindness (pointing at A.R.K.)."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insightfulness of this post. It has really struck a chord in me, and I belive God uses many different ways to connect with us. The honesty you have in your blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete