Saturday, February 26, 2011

Down Syndrome Achieves (DSA)

I have been thinking more and more about how I can evolve from a mother who learned her unborn child had Down syndrome to a mother who has a child with Down syndrome. What does that mean??!! It means I have accepted it, now I want to move forward. I want to get involved. I want to learn about current research surrounding Ds. I want to help move research forward. I want to support legislature that will help move research forward.

I have been praying for direction and I think I found it on Lisa's (Living in the Light) blog post. I think I have found a start in Down Syndrome Achieves. Lisa did a wonderful job introducing DSA.

I have often thought about research surrounding Down syndrome. The simple fact of the matter is I do not know enough and I owe it to my son to learn and be his advocate. He needs a voice. I am not interested in changing him. I am interested in supporting his health, his intellect, his potential. In order for that to happen, there needs to be a lot (A LOT!) more research conducted. There needs to be funding and in order for either to happen this needs to be a priority. Consider supporting Down Syndrome Achieves.

I will be highlighting some other research organizations in future posts. I hope to learn a lot on this journey...and become a contributing member of each.

----
to get started:
visit Down Syndrome Achieves
visit Lisa's blog post

Consider supporting Calvin and the more than 300,000 people in the US who have Down syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment