Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This and that

My MRI results showed no mass or disc degeneration. As Joe said, that is good AND bad. So, my chiropractor is now using ultrasound therapy and we'll go from there. I am very grateful for those results and hopeful that with rest and more work on stabilization that I'll be back on the roads this spring. I might not be running the half-marathon that was my original goal, but maybe the Stillwater 10 in July! That won't be so bad. I guess I just have to slow down.

I am learning a lot about pacing my goals by having 3 children, especially Calvin. We are working a lot with him sitting and pushing up. I admit it is frustrating for me to see other kids with Ds his age that are bigger than him and doing so much more. However, I sat and just looked at him yesterday. I saw Calvin and I love him and accept him. After all, I know I want to be accepted despite my lack of so many abilities.

5 comments:

  1. I think those results of the MRI are great. What a relief that must be! It is still hard for me at times to see how little my daughter is compared to other children her age. I have said to people, "yes, I know she is small for her age" many many times. I should just buy her a t-shirt that says it! I remember those days too of working on sitting, pushing up on all fours...keep working hard even when it feels it will never happen. I have been there and still do that with her tasks today. When Calvin walks, and he will, it will be amazing...joy beyond belief! I remember it with Kristen so distinctly. We were so happy...so proud of her. Now, I truly appreciate every day all those little things she does I took for granted with my other daughter. Funny how life works like that and the lessons we learn through our kids...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to pop over and say hi and I introduce myself. I am in the process and adopting Cliff :) Hope your back starts to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard, isn't it? I love the online community, and all the blogs I read, however when I see another child with DS around the same age as Charlotte doing something she isn't, it is really hard. I know I shouldn't compare; our babies will do things when they are ready. All we can do is help them out the best we can. And love them. Hang in there, and I hope you find an answer to your back problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you on the milestones- Evan has been advanced in the gross motor department, but lacking in fine motor and speech. I have no problems with him being on his own time table, especially compared to his "typical" peers, but when I see others with DS doing so much more in different areas, it is hard. I just have to keep reminding myself that he WILL get there when he's good and ready. :) Best of luck to you with your back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that your back is still bothering you! I know that is a significant added stress as you seek to care for your boys!

    Thanks for the suggestions you offered on my blog post. I will ask Wesley's OT about them!

    ReplyDelete