Sunday, April 10, 2011

Functional Neurology part 1

(this post will occur in 2 parts because Calvin is fussy and darn it, I rarely get a chance to sit down and post but I want to and need to)
Photobucket
Remember back a few weeks ago when I mentioned focusing on Calvin's speech, because I strongly feel his physical development will occur? Well, it turns out I need to change that thought. I am going to focus on his physical development in a way that will support his verbal development as his coordination takes place. In order to do that Joe and I will be integrating some tips provided by one of his co-workers: Dr. Scott Theirl of Functional Restoration. Dr. Theirl was in the area and graciously stopped in to provide us with a consultation and some work with Calvin.
Photobucket
Here is my disclaimer: I am not the expert and will be putting this in the best way that I understand it!
Photobucket
Dr. Theirl is a Chiropractic Neurologist, hense my disclaimer. I am nowhere near being either a chiropractor or a neurologist, but good for him for being both... now that I feel completely unknowledgeable, let me try to explain this.

Calvin needs to crawl. At this time we do not care about standing or walking. Crawling is important in a child's development because it utilizes and therefore increases cerebellar activity. (I asked Joe to write this up but he is sick - Joe knows more about the brain than I do)

The cerebellum is concerned with regulation of coordination and balance. We can apply that to physical activity such as crawling or walking or skiing or dancing OR TALKING!
Photobucket
Crawling really engages the cerebellum which will in turn strengthen other activities that involve balance and coordination.

This concludes part 1. I will explain what we are doing to activate Calvin's cerebellum :)
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I can't wait to see that li'l peanut crawling! Love the pics! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures just make me smile!!! Too bad Dr Thierl doesn't live a bit closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting...it will be exciting to see how it helps! I know despite the fact we never had an expert like this to consult, we never held one type of development higher than the other. Every therapist that came into our house emphasized that each part played its role. We worked on it all everyday because each one is critical to the development of the other. I just have heard that people do not think you can work on speech early thus focusing completely on the physical development. While I can see what you are saying that the physical is linked with the speech, there is still plenty we did just for speech alone at an early age. Good luck... I love hearing about new ideas, new ways...anything that can help our kids in any way possible!!!!

    ReplyDelete