Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dear Dairy

Dear Dairy,
I sort of miss you, but not as much as a couple of days ago or last week. I am getting used to not having you in my life. Why? How?
Photobucket
Well, you see, I was told numerous times while nursing my children that cutting you (dairy) out of my diet might help with fussiness and "burp-up" or reflux.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I wasn't convinced. I am naturally skeptical and felt like you (dairy) were getting the blame for too much. I can eat you and drink you and feel fine. At least I think.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
The fact is, you are hard to avoid. You are everywhere, even where I'd least expect you.
Photobucket
You (dairy) may have noticed I was eating less of you because I started eating a salad for lunch. Of course you were still in my dressings, even some balsamic vinaigrette. You sneaky guy.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
It was about the time I switched to salads that I also decided to give Calvin a reflux med. I got the prescription at his 9 month check up but did not want him to have it. I am conservative when it comes to meds as well. I'm more of a deal with the cause, not bandage the wound kind of gal.
Photobucket
So, I figured I owed it to Calvin to at least try eliminating you (dairy). I took it slow, trying to substitute and not deprive myself too much (regretfully taking too much time). And I have been completely dairy free for about 1.5 weeks (including no chocolate with milkfat - the final thing to go).
Photobucket
Well, Dairy, Calvin hardly burps-up anymore. He was vomiting a lot for months and months. He needing clothing changes, a cloth at his side, and warnings given to his handlers. It was sickening. AND, Calvin was not sleeping well starting about the same time the burping up kicked in (when he was no longer on thickened feeds - 4 months old).

He burps up about 90% less frequent and 90% less volume. He is sleeping well and seems happy. Calvin is also making some gains such as rocking, putting his hands together (clap), repeatedly opening and closing his mouth, and nodding.

Now, Dairy, I am not 100% sure you are to blame for anything, but I am 100% sure Calvin is better off without you. He has less reflux or burp-up and more sleep to prove it.

This is not going to be easy. I am working towards eliminating your friend Gluten as well, but she's harder to get rid of. If anyone thinks you're sneaky...

So long Dairy,
Calvin's Mom
Photobucket
Disclaimer: no one in this post was fed dairy in this meal (grilled meatloaf with Unsweetened Almond Milk and squash and rice without butter for Mom)

5 comments:

  1. So happy he's feeling better! Good for you for figuring it out & doing it.

    As always..... the kids are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how food can bring us health or discomfort. Over here, we are gluten free and dairy free (were before Miss K was born). It has made such big differences in different ways for each of us. It's funny you say gluten is harder. We went gluten free first (four years ago), and then last summer finally went dairy free. The dairy seemed so much harder to me! :) But I do believe strongly that Miss K is doing as well as she is because she is dairy and gluten free. Best wishes to you as you forge forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, what is it with dairy? Ellie is dairy free (except for live culture yogurt). If she has milk or cream or say mac n cheese--excessive, large amounts of spit up. We buy Rice Milk in bulk at Costco now. It cut the reflux in 1/2. It only took me about 15 months to figure out. The rest of her reflux was controlled with meds. We were going to wean her off in two montsh but this past week, reflux is back with a vengeance. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work! I am so glad Calvin is doing better. I am with you on a conservative approach to medicine. Yes, the pictures are great once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awhhh, I cut dairy for awhile as well. We, however were experiencing issues from the other end. So sorry that you had to say good bye to it.

    ReplyDelete