Monday, August 1, 2011

Food Sensitivities and Reflux Update

Yes, they go together!

I have been MIA for awhile.  I was plain old burnt out last week and something has been going on.  I am more crabby than normal.  I got sick.  I didn't want to run.  I just want some simplicity.

The 5 of us went to South Dakota the early morning after Calvin's birthday party.  I was up late the night before and still had to pack myself the next morning.  Joe handled most of the packing.  I left with the attitude that if we didn't have something we really needed, we stop and get it.  We camped, too.  Anyway, I'll post that trip separately.  The point I'm getting at?  I was so busy beforehand and had a lot on my plate with Calvin and doctors and eating, etc.  As some of you know, I am feeling pretty pressured by the medical community regarding Calvin's size and his ears.

When we saw the audiologist, she found fluid in his right ear - a first.  So, we are off to the ENT tomorrow (since we all had colds I am highly suspecting he did too and I didn't know it). Also, he is small, but not skinny, so I'm not worried but I want the drs off my back.  Plain and simple.  So, I have to take Calvin back to his primary dr for a re-check.  I'm sure not much will change so I have to be prepared to put an end to it myself.  I know Calvin.  He is healthy.  I got the results from his lab work.  Everything is normal.  He is developing, etc.

As you know (or maybe not), I have eliminated dairy from my diet and Calvin is responding very favorably.  The huge culprit was my morning breakfast.  So, I substituted cow's milk with unsweetened almond or coconut milk (and am also trying Flax milk which I like best so far) AND I eliminated the whey protein supplement.  I used peanut butter for awhile, but that is not an efficient source of protein (per Karen Hurd last fall as she helped me with increasing my protein intake).  So, a few weeks ago I found a Hemp Protein supplement and was using that.  Well, things were fine.  Up until about a week before heading to S.D.  Calvin was back to spitting up about 10 times a day.  I was stressed about that before we left.  I could not figure it out.

Then I went a few days with out my shake AND my usual evening snack of gluten free oatmeal.  AND, he is back to barely spitting up at all.  I am having my breakfast shake but without protein (a no-no, so I am working on that since we need about half our weight in grams of protein per day, unless you are a bodybuilder).

So, things in the reflux/spitting up are going really good.  I have not had oatmeal yet and will add that soon.  I strongly believe it is not a gluten issue.  I went a few weeks without gluten and have had some now in the past week and the spit up seems unaffected.  However, it could simply be a sensitivity to oats.  Ugh, this is a pain.

But, if you haven't been able to tell yet, I will do anything for Calvin's health, including nursing long-term.  Speaking of, I have discovered he likes brown/baked beans!  A first in the solids department.  Thank God!  I am getting ready to move on to more foods with Calvin.

Behind all of this is the fact that Calvin had 4 months of a very poor heart.  He did not really even begin oral/physical/verbal development until that point, which would put him at about 8 months old.  Really he is on track for an 8 month old in the food department.

This is long!

Finally, I did get my allergy and food sensitivity testing back.  Bad.  I have a poor score and lots of sensitivities (highest are egg whites, buttermilk, and cottage cheese and I have a lot in the moderate and low categories, including lots of fruits).  I found out I am allergic to dogs, dust mites, ragweed, and some grasses.  No surprise there.  What is interesting though it, it may have to do with the stomach acid AND, I can work to repair my gut so some of this changes.

I will end here.  I'll be back another day with pics from S.D. and a garden update (more fun than this stuff).

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sounds like a lot of sensitivities. Ellie has her endoscopy tomorrow. She is completely dairy-free and was gluten free for a long time. . .there have been no changes in the spit up. Some days are worse than others. I think it is funny you mention the oats. I suspect that too since Ellie used to be severely (throat swelling) allergic to them. Perhaps, while she is no longer allergic, she is sensitive?

    Keep us posted on you and Calvin. I cannot wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff. I am really getting interested in food sensitivities. Levi is only 14 mo & is still on baby foods. I stopped nursing him a month ago. I have been thinking about going dairy & gluten free & wonder if it would be a good move for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing mom to change your diet to help Calvin!

    ReplyDelete