Sunday, October 2, 2011

I AM: More Than Down Syndrome

It is true, people with Down syndrome are slower to learn than those without Down syndrome. It is true that the definition of 'retard' is to slow/delay. However, 'retard' and 'retarded' is most commonly used to insult people both with and without disabilities. When it is used as a synonym for 'stupid' or 'dumb', the word 'retard' degrades the value of those with disabilities.

Since having Calvin I have become very aware of using the words retard, stupid, and dumb. I spend more time thinking about what I actually mean and want to say then find other words. It actually makes me feel more whole because I dig deeper and look longer at people and situations and give them the words that give them greater value.

Since it is Down syndrome awareness month, I thought it would be nice to bring awareness of this issue and show you what people with Down syndrome are capable of and how much they are loved.

If you want to pledge to stop using 'retarded' in the derogatory sense, visit www.r-word.org and join over 200,000 people who've taken action.



Thank you Shannon (Fiona's mom), Anna (older Ellie's mom), Becky (Kristen's mom), Jaime (Jaidin's mom), Megan (younger Ellie's mom) , Nicole (Teagan's mom), Kristin (Harper's mom), Denise (Stevie Joe's mom), Alyssa (Sam's mom), Leah (Cora's mom), Angelica (Isaac's mom), Meriah (Moxie's mom), Monica (Lilly's mom), Melanie (Kellan's mom), Melissa (Broden's mom), Christie (Joseph's mom), Jennifer (Kennedy's mom), Denise (Maddison's mom), Melissa (Rowenna's mom), Susanna (Verity's mom), Catherine (Nathan's mom), Brit (Katie's mom), and Gretchen (Julian's mom).

12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Ilisa! Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have said it on my blog, on facebook and now on here--excellent post and beautiful video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love the song that you picked out to go with this video, like the children shown, it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! My boy opened it up :) thank you for shining for our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this is all over youtube tagged with down syndrome and beauty for all to see! (Especially new and expectant parents! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing job you did...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Lissa! Love all the pictures but my fav is the last one!! Our Sweet Baby Calvin!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a great job! It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome video! I hope you don't mind but I am going to link your blog to my post for today!

    ReplyDelete