Saturday, October 15, 2011

Update on Calvin

I brought Calvin to the dr on Thursday.  He had a chest xray and blood work to check his white blood cell count.  We left 2 hours later after having another antibiotic shot and a script for an antibiotic called Septra.  The dr thought Calvin had double pneumonia because the xray was cloudy.  His WBC count was only slightly elevated (10,800).

He did not improve at all and in fact seemed to be getting worse Friday.  He was with his grandma and she got him to eat about 8 ounces of milk.  He was lethargic and when I got home from work he was warm.  Checked his temp and it was 99.5.

Earlier I had called the dr to give an update and express my concerns but I had not heard back from him.  I wanted to bring him in but was struggling because the idea was that it was too soon (not my thoughts, but those of who I talked to when I left the dr his message).

The dr called me around 5:30pm and said he looked at the xray with radiology and they thought yes, he has pneumonia.  After updating him, the dr told me to bring him in to the ER.

Did that.  We were in New Richmond until about 8:30pm and were then transported to Children's in St Paul because of this pattern of not getting better and still having fevers (it was up to 101.8 in NR).

Got to St Paul and got out of the ER around 1:30am (moved in to the hospital).  There are lots more details of basically not being sure what is going on.  It is hard to know the full story and relay every thing so many times to people who are seeing him for the first time.

At this point we are waiting to find out if it is bacterial or viral.  I have heard many things, including it is not bacterial pneumonia to it is asthma (with a fever ?!)...

We'll be here a while and I'll update when I know anything.

10 comments:

  1. Praying for them to find out what is going on quickly and a speedy recovery for Calvin. Poor guy, and poor mom too :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...I am so sorry. I am awaiting updates as I pray. Asthma??? Getting straight answers from medical people is so frustrating! Keep asking and bothering them thought until you get those answers....I know you will. Sending much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Ilisa. What a stressful and scary experience to not know what is going on with the poor little guy. Prayers for them to figure this out so he can work on getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. Poor boy. Im sorry he is SO sick. Not fun at all. We will pray for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor little guy. :( Hoping they get things figured out soon! We are only 45 mins from St. Paul, if you need anything give a holler. Seriously. My email is angel.dockendorf@gmail.com. We can deliver real food ;), clothing, coffee, toiletries, whatever! Praying for you guys....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy. Praying for wisdom for the doctors and for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts & prayers are with you & Calvin. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor baby and poor mama. Praying for answers and strength and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for Calvin and you all ... may he feel better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear all this :( Keeping sweet Calvin in my prayers! I definitely wouldn't be buying the asthma story either.

    ReplyDelete