Wednesday, March 7, 2012

reality ride

Reality reminds me of the stages of grief:  denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Photobucket
After an awesome day focused on some future goals that will require monetary investment (I will get to another time) I was stricken with the above feelings due to a bill that arrived in the mail today.  As I rocked with my finally-nursing-again Calvin, I thought about how I momentarily thought "this is not right, no way could it be that much, we paid some of that already" (denial) and quickly went to feeling bitter about the fact that Joe and I want to move forward with some new ideas and we "of course" get smacked with another bill (anger), to "lets check and see if we paid some of that because I'm sure we did" (bargaining), to "well, I guess we should give up on anything extra" (depression), and finally to "pay it, be done with that, and figure out some other solutions to this problem" (acceptance).

I find myself getting older and therefore much more experienced in the realm of grief.  From bills as mentioned above, to finding out my unborn child would have a disability and also need open heart surgery.

I KNOW the more we practice, the better equipped we are to handle challenges. PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
A few of us here are very excited for Evan to play flag football this weekend.  My brothers, I have four of them, did not play football.  One of them ran in Cross Country and Track and I think that about covers it.  They liked hunting, video games, nun-chucks, you name it.  Yes, really, they made nun-chucks and we played "Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles".  Talk about safety!  I cannot quite figure out if we had to hide them or if my mom thought "let them learn through failure, and pain"-a motto I adhere to.  All joking aside, failure creates a strong learning curve, as so does pain!  Of course not negligible pain, but a fall or a dip in some cold water pain (see photos below).

I digress.  Evan will learn reality when he plays his 5 rounds of flag football with other Kindergarteners. He may in fact experience some grief.  My parenting philosophy (wisdom) is to let the kids fail now and then.  This is when they learn.  Just as I am learning.

Trials and Tribulations Gallery:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yes, trials and tribulations are a part of life. And, they do make us stronger. God wants us to thank Him for those times too, which is so hard for me. Have fun with the flag football...it will so exciting. I love all the photos of your boys. Calvin is getting so big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your labels for this post. hahahahaaa!! just sayin'. ;o)

    ReplyDelete