Thursday, September 13, 2012

New Beginnings

No pictures tonight.  Just a quick note to share an eventful day.  I turned in my resignation at work this afternoon.

I first shared my intent with the building principal and he was very supportive and understanding.  I told him I was okay with him letting the superintendent know and I would talk to him myself very soon.  Within a half hour the superintendent showed up at my office door.  I smiled and said "word travels quickly here I see".  He gave me a hug and told me I was doing the right thing.

"Family comes first. When you do something for your family, it is the right thing", he said.

"Thank you for this opportunity and placing your faith in me years ago when you hired me" I choked out.

"This only makes me have more faith in you."

"That is what makes this hard."

--------------
After I announced it on Facebook:

Former school board president, Pastor Randy Dean: You are one of the finest humans I've known in the public education arena. So, whatever you've decided to do, you'll be a huge success because YOU are a fine human. Thank you.

---------------
I will never know for sure if this was the right decision.  Whatever that means - right vs wrong.  I do know I will have times of regret.  To think otherwise is foolish and impossible considering what I just shared.  How could I go without missing a great group of people to work with?  

That said, I know what I need to do.  I am in love with my family and will go to the gates of hell for them, whatever form those gates come in.  Maybe it is working to establish a healthier diet than what we currently have here.  Maybe it is remembering to breath deeply when I have lost patience with one of the boys during the daytime when I would otherwise have been gone at work.  Whatever the struggle or need, it is my job to support them.  Yes, I know I cannot do everything, but I can do more now that I will be physically present for more hours of the day.  And, I am excited for that.  

10 comments:

  1. What incredible words they had to say to you. Congratulations on your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, new beginnings are so good for the soul. I know this is a decision you have wrestled with and sounds like you are finally at peace. It will be good my friend. What amazing support you have and beautiful uplifting comments to wish you well on this new path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, mama! You made a very big and difficult decision and I am so proud. It sounds like you were/are very valued at work :) I quit my job when I had Ellie. I do not regret it, but there are times where I think "what if?". My license (NP) is inactive and to reactivate it is a rather long and difficult process, something that I will probably never do [reactivate]--when I learned of this, I cried. I panicked. Then I realized that I gave up my career for something/someone much more important. My Ellie. To new beginnings, Ilisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I left my teaching job when Colin was born. I second guessed myself for a full year. I even dreamed about working every night. And then I really started to enjoy my new life. I think transitions are tough but new beginnings are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many blessings on this new leg of your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they said the nicest things to you and were so supportive! I quit my job when my 2nd was born. I have a feeling you will enjoy your new phase ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hard decision! You are so blessed, though, to have such support from your coworkers. I am praying that God will help you to trust Him, even when finances are tight, and give you peace that you made the right decision. Now go enjoy your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! What great words to hear when you are leaving, even if it makes leaving even harder. :) Welcome to your new journey! I have a feeling you'll be wonderful at it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great words from your co-workers! Like I told you earlier, I am confident that you will be a major success with your photography business, and let's be honest, you're a wonderful mother, so that just comes without saying that you will be a successful stay-at-home mom. Anyways, I don't say it enough, but I am very proud to call you my SISTER! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete