Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Update Central!

Wow, it has been a busy fall and winter for my new and growing photography business.  That is why I have not been here much.  I have been an editing, photographing maniac with parenthood and watching my nephew on top of it!!!  I resigned from my job 3 months ago.  My last day was mid-October.  I miss the people and sometimes wonder if I am making a difference in this world by spending my extra time taking photos. I know it is a silly question but I want to do what is 'right'.  In my heart and for God's people.  I do think this is the 'right' thing to be doing.  Last week as I fed Colten (my nephew whom I have 3 days a week) I realized it was 3 o'clock and thought about what I would be doing if I were still working at school.  Then before I figured it out I realized I had not had a single moment of that train of thought since being home.  Meaning I have not wished I was still there or missed it enough to regret my decision.  When I thought it through I moved on and thought about how much happier and more content I am where I am right now.  It is a sign that this is the 'right' thing.  Maybe not forever.  But who knows, maybe!  I love photography and all the people I get to interact with and give something to (photos of their loved ones).  That is a gift.
It speaks, also, to what has been happening lately.  I mentioned elsewhere (facebook) that a woman I met briefly last year on my way to bringing Calvin to Children's when he was so sick with brociolitis and pnemonia had another child whom passed away last week. (I did blog about meeting her last October) Her 4 year old boy was struck and killed by a vehicle operated by his dad.  It is so heartbreaking.  This is the same family who buried a child who was still-born spring of last year.  I asked God the question of how such things in life are possible?  I was reminded that He has plans for us to prosper.  Somehow, this family will persevere and by God's true grace still worship Him!  Amazing, God!
On top of it, as I ask myself if becoming a photographer is meaningful, I have no doubt that my photos will become more valuable over time and if something were to happen to the people in them, I will have provided something for their loved ones.  

With all of this, I have been working with someone to get my personal/profession website up and running how I would like.  I did find someone else to help me and I will be blogging on there, too.  Mostly professional stuff - presenting sessions, etc.  But I have been considering using that space to share photos of my family and a bit about us verses using this space/site.  It would be nothing too crazy personal as I have to balance that with professionalism.  But I think people want to know real people.  They want to know those in their lives are caring and connected and can even relate to them!  I want to present who I am so people feel connected to me and trust me to photograph their family/children/etc in a way that represents them and draws out emotion and art.  So, I am going to play around with blogging more on that site.  I will direct you readers there once I am ready and off to the races.  It will be a couple of weeks yet.  In the meantime, I will keep this space as it is meant to offer myself a place to come and vent or cry-out or share about life and struggles and gifts.  
Speaking of gifts: It is truly crazy how Calvin has been taking off.  He now signs puppy, kitty, elephant, horse, cow (those 2 look the same but he tries and does great!), eat, more, help, drink, drive, and some times please and go - have not done those much.  He is working on lion and makes a snorting sound when he see's photos of pigs and ducks!  He watches so intently as I teach him.  This boy is a smart one and I have no doubts he will have a fulfilling life.  And, I am having a lot of fun with him!  He loves books.  I often catch him 'reading' them and find a lot of joy in that.  

The thing is, Calvin is a human being.  He is 'normal'.  He joins in the games and joys of our family.  He fits perfectly; a puzzle piece that has been connected even though I kept thinking it didn't quite fit and would turn it and turn it.  I just needed to give it time and look at the big picture.  The big picture is what used to scare me!  Not anymore.

I took Cal to the dentist again.  I need to get in his mouth and do more releases and get him used to fingers in there so the doctor can do that without such a melt down.  I'm afraid of how it will go, ouch!  Cal does not have his eye-teeth yet.  Dr. Laughlin says they are slow or may not come.  Crazy genetics!

Here are some photos I have taken recently.  The ones of Cal are with my new toy: Canon 5dmkiii.  I've hesitated to share that but I am very grateful for what God gives me.  He blesses me and I will honor him and respect the people and things in my life.  Yes, sometimes it is a struggle and I have to slow down, but here we go!  Have a very Merry Christmas!  I'll post more soon.  Thank you for reading! 



3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to check out your new blog once it is up and running. I think becoming a photographer holds great meaning...Being able to beautifully capture moments in time, that's just priceless. I think you will do awesome :)

    Love Cal's beautiful big blue eyes, such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be checking your new blog too! So happy that your change in career has brought you so much joy:) And Calvin looks happy about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how fun! I will be looking forward to seeing your new blog too. I can feel the joy in your words and know you are doing the right thing! Okay, Calvin is just so adorable...and doing so well! YEAH! It will be a fun Christmas with all those boys!

    ReplyDelete