Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Quest Against Chronic Disease

Interestingly, we are a society that is going to be taken down (as we are already) by chronic disease.  I was thinking a lot about this last night and was filled with anxiety.  For myself, my children, my husband, and everyone.  Anxiety is not worry as much as a feeling of a need to do something about it!!

We look out in to the world and see people struggling with obesity and mental illness.  People are often sick with this virus or that.  They are tired.  Stressed.  Unhappy.

While I think this is because we are not letting our faith guide our lives, I would say it specifically has a ton to do with what we are consuming and the demands we place on ourselves to be busy, productive, profitable, competative, etc.

As I become wholistically healthier, I  want nothing more than to please God by helping other people.

Why should I suffer alone?  I do not have to.  I can share what I learn and I find true joy in knowing other people can take a bit here and there.

You can find encouragement here.

I am not the most knowledgable.  I do not have a nutrition degree or even classes in biology.  I did not appreciate it.  But now that I understand it is applied to how we think and feel (physically and emotionally), I am hooked.

I am very passionate about health and I constantly crave to know more.

Joe tells me I am a rare person though in that I will adjust my life to what I know needs to be done.  This is hard for me to wrap my head around.  But, being healthy is very hard when we are in a cycle of unhealthy behaviors.

I have been there, I know that.  What if I told you that if I can do it, you can too?

We each have our own way.  I respect that.  So, as my anxiety built last night, I knew I could not blog for a day or so until I settled down.  I am learning to take time to let my feelings ride the wave, then assess where I am at and what I want to tell other people.

So, in thinking about all of this, I know what I need to do in order to be healthy, and what works for me.

Here is what I know I need to do every day:

1. Wake up after a night of 7-8 hours of sleep.  Take my liver and gallbladder supplements with at least 2 cups of water.  If I am going to exercise I take l-carnatine.
2. Work out if I am going to (usually 5 times a week).  I am now training for a half-marathon I signed up for but I am also adding in strength building since the new year, and I am pleased with 2 days of legs and 2 days of arms/chest - about 10 minutes only. If you have to choose and struggle with your weight, go with the strength training!
3.  If I do not work out I make grain-free waffles for the week.  Nearly every morning I make eggs for the boys.  I try to get Evan to eat 3 before he heads off to school.  Calvin loves the waffles and eggs!  I do, too!
4. If I work out I take glutamine (Glutagenics), probiotic, and CoQ-10 right after and wait 30-60 minutes to eat.
5. Breakfast consists of 4 eggs.  Yes, 4 (we go through a lot of eggs).  You may remember I cut eggs out because they were high on my food sensitivity testing last year.  I added them in as I began to heal my GI system.  My doctor said it is not as much about what we are sensitive to as is about the fact we have a compromised system.  You actually get holes in your digestive tissue, which allows food particles to pass through into your blood stream (leaky gut).  Not good for your immune system!
6.  Breakfast may consist of the flax waffles mentioned in number 3, or Qi'a (unsweetend chia seed "cereal" - very yummy).  I may now and then have oatmeal.  Not much though, once a month or when in a hurry.  I only consume 1 serving of grains now and then.  I also started making my own grain free cereal (Maria Emmerich recipe).  It is yummy but my stomach does not do too well with it - hard to digest the almond meal still.  Very healthy though!  We are not going to buy cereal anymore unless we need to or it is a special treat.
7. Lunch and dinner - grain and added sugar free.  Pasta?  I currently shred cabbage and have miracle noodles but I'm going to figure out zucchini pasta as well!  Lots of veggies and 5 servings of quality protein every day!  Lots of water!
8. No eating past 7pm - 6:30 is better.  Why?  Because our bodies have been ingesting and digesting food all day, now it is time to absorb the nutrients and let our bodies kick in the hormones and neurotransmitters responsible for this.  This is huge for weight management!  Eating too close to sleep inhibits our human growth hormone (HGH) and we will store fat.  Insulin inhibits the HGH.  Boosting HGH levels means more muscle, less fat, and efficient metabolism (chemical process to maintain life, not burn calories).  The next morning we should eliminate our waste - every day!  Some doctors say it is okay not to go every day.  I am learning a lot about that not being okay.  You are susceptible to absorbing chemicals you need to get out of your body (like too much estrogens).  Try magnesium citrate to help :)
9.  Before I go to bed I take my liver and gallbladder supplements and also magnesium citrate.

I have read a bit about everyone being recommended to take magnesium: citrate if you have constipation issues, glycinate if not (nearly 600mg per day).  For every molecule of carbohydrates we consume, we consume 56 molecules of magnesium!  Wow.  Anyways, take time to learn about magnesium :)  And sugar consumption.  Click Here

Normal blood sugar?  1 tsp of sugar in your/our/my blood.  4 grams of carbohydrates becomes 1 tsp of sugar in your blood!  Take time to look at the carbohydrates on your labels.



Well, I have rattled on enough for one evening.  Want some ice cream at 6pm?  Try that coconut milk ice cream, sweetened with chicory root :)  I mention that in the previous post :)

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with ya sister! My family started making the transition to grain free 2 weeks ago. The gluten is gone and the grains are slowly following. It is HARD! I feel the same way that you do though. I always want to learn more and I want to help anyone I can. My family's health is one of my top priorities!

    ReplyDelete