Friday, January 4, 2013

Moving Mountains

A dear woman, who likely will read this, has shared a bit about what having a child with Down syndrome means in her country.  Here are her words and out of deep respect to her I have left out names and anything personal except her country (because of her last paragraph):


In Indonesia, having a special children is viewed as one of these :

1. You're cursed. You've done something wrong, you (and your family) doomed for the rest of your life. That is because, there is absolutely no bright future supported by our government! I've heard that in German, every company that hires a minimum of 50 people, HAVE to hire one Down Syndrome person. While here? It's good if you're keeping and taking care of your Down Syndrome child. Period.

2. You have to be very-very rich. We have to pay for our own standard fisiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy. Goverment workers do have insurance to pay for such therapy, but to get into the hospital that accept it's insurance... you'll need to wait in line for 3 months first...

That's why, everything I do, I need to know tons of it. So that I can be 100% sure what I'm doing, and 100% sure spending my money on what and evaluating the result. That's why I'm so glad I found this babycenter forum. Loads and loads of information! And loads and loads of helpful mothers! God bless you all :)

I've message someone thinking of adopting children. You guys adopting children from Russia, Serbia, etc.! I'm trying to put attention to Indonesia... Lots and lots of babies are being thrown away because they have a little extra. They'll got better future if someone takes them over there. Not my ____, of course... eventhough I cannot provide the things you guys can give, at least he got me... but there's lots of babies not as fortunate as my ______...

This is a woman who I believe God is moving mountains.

I hope to help her in anyway I can.  That is all I can do.  Maybe this post will be worth something more than regards to my own feelings.  Sometimes I just think I fail to remember there are much bigger things than me.  I hate that about myself.  I hate that I allow myself to focus on anything except God and His people.

That is what is good about blogging, for me.  I can use it to get out of my own head.  I can do that, I'm not saying I have been.  Goodness!  So, focusing back to what matters: people.  And, I still want the world to know people with Ds are worthy of our praise.  If everyone could feel a hug from a 2 year old with Down syndrome you'd know it is like nothing else.  I have been trying to put words to it.  Is it Calvin, or is it me: The fact that I have allowed myself to love this child I once thought doomed the rest of my life?  I need to get back to focusing on the space beyond me.  Is my life more important than any one else's?  It is not.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow! What a powerful message. I knew all about EE and China but I had NO idea about Indonesia. I am wondering what sort of laws between our two countries are in place for international adoption? This lady sounds like a force to be reckoned with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I agree about the hugs. Ben gives the best hugs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad how the world doesn't value our kids. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete